1. Small Space Furniture Shouldn’t Cost a Fortune – A brand-new Murphy bed can quickly cost more than $3,000. The point is, we think furniture that makes the most of your square footage shouldn’t have a hefty price tag. That’s why we created this list of 12 DIY Murphy bed projects that won’t torpedo your bank account. Custom Made Murphy Beds.
2. DIY Murphy Bed for Small Spaces – Jacque and her husband Matt from The DIY Village built a Murphy bed for their workroom so it could double as a visitor room. Depending on your budget you can use plywood, hardwood, MDF or particle board to construct a Murphy Bed. Jacque and Matt picked PureBond hardwood plywood. They say the professional grade building material become the strength and beauty of their finished project. PureBond products are also formaldehyde-free and certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. The couple’s tutorial involves more need to know tips.
3. Build This Murphy Bed for Cheap – A spring or piston lifting device could more than double the cost of making a Custom Made Murphy Beds. The hardware takes the effort out of closing and opening but if you are willing to sacrifice a little comfort to save money consider the Lori Wall beds Kit. It’s a mechanism-free solution that does it possible to build a Custom Made Murphy Beds for less money.
How does the Lori Wall Bed close and open? The design relies on good old-fashioned fashion muscle strength. To better counterbalance some of the pressure, the bottom of the bed frame has curved “rocker” sides that double as shelving when closed. Each Lori wall bed kit comes with building plans and assembly fittings (more than 200 hinges, screws, connectors, and bolts!) Clients can pick from two types of bed adjustments: horizontal or vertical, and three different bed sizes: twin, full or queen.
4. DIY Murphy Bed for Small Mortals – You know you are only human. But that does not mean you cannot build this Custom Made Murphy Beds by Steve at Woodworking for Mere Mortals. He designs for folks with limited budgets and zero building practice.
To kick things off, he purchased a DIY kit from Murphy Bed Hardware. Just like the kit we discussed earlier, it comes with all the material to assemble a lifting mechanism plus building plans for constructing the cabinet and bed frame.
5. DIY This Modern Farmhouse Custom Made Murphy Beds – This Murphy bed office combo by Katie at Addicted 2 DIY blew our brains. Katie designed a one-of-a-kind furniture arrangement that involves the desk and bookcases. The icing on the cake is the bed cabinet. When closed it follows a storage wall so those not in the know would never choose it conceals a mattress.
The mechanism kit for Katie’s queen-size Murphy got from Rockler. She also downloaded the company’s step-by-step directions for building the furniture and shelving units. Afterward, she changed the building plans to suit her range and needs. View part one and part two of her tutorial.
6. DIY This IKEA Murphy Bed – Paul from Renovations and Old Houses was excited to build his Custom Made Murphy Beds using items from IKEA’s PAX series after his wife noticed this IKEA hack from Herbie’s World and this IKEA cut from Jerry’s Projects.
All three projects included a floor mounted bed frame with a spring mechanism from Murphy Bed Frame. When compiled and installed it’s an all-in-one free-standing device that supports, lifts and lowers a mattress. To conceal, make a cabinet around it, Paul’s tutorial shares how.
7. Hack A PAX Murphy Bed – Here is different DIY Murphy bed that is also a PAX IKEA hack. Norwegian blogger, Calvin Gross from Husqvarna, states if you are making a unit for a full-sized mattress you will need many things including two PAX wardrobe frames and a couple of LURÖY slatted bed bases.
8. Build a Transforming Sofa Murphy Bed – This money-saving DIY by Imgur user Avalon Awaked describes how to make one for a heck of a lot less. The ottoman and sofa are from IKEA’s SÖDERHAMN line. To order the DIY process, he bought The Next Bed. It’s a Murphy bed mattress frame with a lifting device that you can anchor to a wall or floor that is easy to assemble. Keep in mind, Avalon built a Custom Made Murphy Beds mount for the bed frame so it would open over the sofa. Afterward, he made a Murphy bed cabinet with built-in storage using white melamine.
9. How to Create a Basic Murphy Bed – This project by David Picciuto at Make Something TV shows how to make a single Murphy bed using Side Mount Deluxe Murphy Bed Hardware from Rockler. Each kit includes instructions, but if you find them disturbing, David’s video gives an overview of the steps.
10. Create a Murphy Bed Fit For a Kid – Need to make room for a grade schooler? Martin Vester used leftover parts from an IKEA Ivar storage system to produce a small Murphy bed with built-in shelving for his tiny home office. What’s our favorite part of this project? Martin used three of the plywood shelves to build a bench for blankets and sheets. Take a peek at the tutorial.
11. Build a Disappearing Murphy Bed – Many Murphy beds are freestanding pieces of furniture that you bolt to the wall or floor. The blogging sisters behind Junk in Their Trunk, share how to create one that seemingly disappears like magic without using an expensive lifting mechanism. Junk in Their Trunk shares photos and tips of their DIY for free here.
12. Faux Murphy Bed for Tiny Spaces – Andrew and Crystal Odom are the small house dwellers behind Tiny Revolution, a site that helps small space living. Since they could not fit an ordinary Murphy bed in their home, they came up with a related idea called the roll out bed. What’s inside this two-box design? The front box covers an accordion style bed frame on castors. Inside the second one is a foam IKEA mattress.